Monday, February 16, 2009

Mount up!


Well I guess today was a good a day as any to try out the trainer. I got it from a friend in Dec. and finally got it set up and decided to conquer my fear of it.
Fear of what you may ask? Well fear of falling off of it, fear of coming either unclippped or not being able to unclip. Well I am learning that the only way fear goes away is to tackle it. I got up this morning, had half of a Myoplex bar and got changed and got on the bike. (Side note: the benefit of having your trainer at home is that I can workout in my sports bra! I hate feeling hot so that is a bonus...not so much for anyone that can see me though!). Well I first needed to get clipped in properly (Another side note:...learning this skill this Spring when the bike is not stationary is not going to be fun...funNY maybe but not fun) and it took a little bit of maneuvering to get that right. I got on and had to figure out which gear and the whole tension thing. I think I had it on about as easy of a setting as you can go...just one or two higher than that. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!! after 10minutes I was out of breath and gasping and just wishing the 20minutes was over. It also felt good to be on it and know that I can just hop on whenever I want (Final side note: It is set up in my living room and will stay there until either company comes or I need to bring my bike somewhere...so it mocks me to get off the couch and get on it....sometimes nicely but other times I swear I hear some not nice mocking!). So 20mins....not good but not bad and it is better than 0 minutes.
I need to workout a schedule but I have someone I am going to work with on that. I just need to find the time to talk to him.

5 comments:

  1. 20 minutes for a first time is great! I'm always shocked at how the trainer kicks my butt!

    Aim for 20 minutes a couple of times a week, and, you'll start to notice an improvement! :)

    great job for a first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 minutes is definitely better than 0 minutes kiddo!

    As for the clipping/unclipping - use your trainer rides to practice that fine art, then when you "release your bike" in the spring - it will come quite naturally to you. One legged drills will help you as well. Unclip one foot, spin the clipped leg for a couple of minutes - using the full stroke. Clip in the loose foot, then unclip the one that just worked & repeat. Do that a couple of times every trainer ride. It will help ease the boredom as well.

    Get some good up-beat music going (So What?) or an inspirational video (for me - the Kona broadcasts from TV). My bike is in the living room as well, and is always there for me to see. Mine is in front of the patio doors, so I can slide them open if it's too hot! I also did a couple of spins on my balcony last year. 20 stories up - make for an interesting view and the neighbours think you're nuts!

    Good work this week sistah! Keep it up :D
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great investment CK. Great advice from IG & T. You can do this.
    I have a date with my bike and trainer during Biggest Loser every week. Wanna join me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bike is also in the middle of my living room. It's hard to ignore when I have to walk around it to sit on the couch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments ladies. I will be joining you Annette during TBL. I plan to cycle through the first half of the show. I am aiming for cycling during the show and restind during the commercials.

    ReplyDelete