Saturday, April 18, 2009

First outdoor ride of the season and first time in pedals


Today was the way I was going to get on my bike and try to learn to clip in and out. I got up and had some breakfast, got the bike off the trainer, got on some bike clothes and decided to head out before thinking about it too long. I had not planned on going far so I did not have any bodyglide or cycling shorts on. I am sure that I clipped out way too early at most lights, stop signs, practice stops but I figure better safe than sorry for the first few times. I was feeling pretty good and pretty excited to be out for my first outdoor ride of the season. I am out of shape on my bike but that is ok because that can be fixed with training. There were a few times where I felt I could not keep riding but again that has more to do with my first ride and me needing to put more time in the saddle than anything else. At one point on the way back I was ready to stop and sit for a bit and then I came across McKay Blvd and somehow for some reason (wink wink) I felt a push to go on. I found some great stretches of the road where I did not have to stop too much but practiced clipping in and out - out is by far easier than in but I managed it.
I was coming up to the end of my ride (21.5K) and turned into my condo and the gatehouse guy was putting the gate up and down, up and down so I decided to stop and walk my bike the rest of the way...ya STOP...and forgetting I was clipped in I fell right in front of the gatehouse security guy. He just sat there and then came out of the gatehouse and said "Uh are you ok?" I then explained I had been practicing with my new shoes...and did GREAT ..until now LOL!
Great things: I got out on the bike and enjoyed it - and did not freak out. I fell and did not die of pain or embarrassment.
Not so great: my wrist freaking hurts and is swelling like crazy despite icing.
BUT AS YOU CAN SEE THE GREATS FAR OUT WEIGHT THE NOT SO GREAT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment